Computer with Virus. How to fix and prevent it?
A computer virus is a portion of malicious code that can arm your computer, steal personal information or even your your hardware resources to attack other computers and all the computers are possible to infect but the user can prevent it from happening.
Most of the people thinks that having an antivirus is enough to protect them but that is completely wrong because an antivirus is a software that detects malicious code but if a developer writes a new pice of code at this right moment and spread it on the internet your computer can be infected straight away because your antivirus do not know this new code yet so it takes time until the antivirus company discovers new malicious code and then create the antidote and upload it to your computer through antivirus updates.
So you might ask if having an antivirus is not necessary and the answer is that you must have an antivirus and most of the free ones to the job but the paid ones are usually faster to know about new infections and provide some other features that might be useful however the best antivirus in the world is the computer user and how can a user protect himself from virus? Well the answer is simple, you just need to follow a few simples rules and it will reduce your exposure risk a lot.
This tips are both for computer and mobile phone usage:
- If you find any digital memory support that do not belong to you do not plug it into your computer because crackers (the people who develop virus) use this method to infect people because they know everyone is curious and they will sniff a USB memory drive straight away if they find it on the floor.
- Every time an unexpected popup or new window opens on your computer if they have an option to close or cancel do not use it. Just close the windows or popup using the cross (X) on top of the window that belongs to the operating system because those button can be programmed to arm your computer instead of closing the window.
- If you receive an email with a very convincing story even from a trusted company that you work with asking for personal information or to click on a link or download something just analyse it carefully twice or more because most of the emails nowadays are scams and an bad faith person can find your email easily in many places and try to scam you so if in doubt about an email just contact by phone the person or entity where the email comes from and double check if is that real or not
- Alway have a complex password protecting your computer and mobile phone. A password even complex is possible to break but if you do not have one so then is extremely easy to steal your data. Do not use basic password with basic information but create a password based on a small sentence that only you will know an mix it with special characters. Check this example: ‘CPRepairs Lab is extremely useful from January to December‘ converted to CpR-Xtreme.UseFul^0112
- Check for software updates regularly. If prompted to update a software just accept it but always double check if is an oficial window or something similar trying to cheat you. With some attention you can easily spot a fake popup. Sometimes you might receive popups asking to update a software that you do not even have so be aware of any message and do not just click to close it because you could be clicking in a ‘expose my personal data’ button.
- Always have your data encrypted, all the iPhones already come with default encryption but not all of the android phone have default encryption and most of the computers come with it disabled so if you are not comfortable in doing this task just bring your device to our shop or contact us to have all your personal information encrypted in order to protect it from strangers
- Always write the full website address and do not rely on links because they can be customised with other letters os symbols that look like the original website but they don’t. For example lowercase L and uppercase I are identical (l vs I) and easily confounding.
- If possible always use websites where the starting address is HTTPS and not just HTTP because this means all the communications between your device and the server are protected
- Do not spread your email all around. Every time you are asked for your email please consider using an alternative email just for the moment like a 10 minute mail or your real email might be used for spam in the future to attack you.
- Always have an antivirus in your computer and mobile phone and make sure is with automatic updates. Not having an antivirus on your device is like leaving home without closing the front door.
- If you are about to buy something online look first for blogs, forums or social groups to know if that website is trustable or already known by the community to be a scam.
Let us know which other ways do you recommend to protect from virus and we will update this article with reference to your name if you wish or if you need help in removing virus from your computer just contact us.